In 1914, Sargent Manufacturing published a catalog of 60,000 items it manufactured in New Haven. Today, as a division of Assa Abloy, the company focuses on cutting-edge door systems, including locks, security systems, closing systems and other related devices. The company has a global research and development lab for electro-mechanical products in New Haven. And its products are used to maintain security in buildings around the world.
New Haven has a long tradition of manufacturing and innovation:
• In 1793, Yale College student Eli Whitney launched America’s industrial revolution by inventing the cotton gin, a device to remove seeds from cotton.
• In 1836, Samuel Colt, working in a New Haven gun manufacturing plant, invented the automatic revolver.
• In 1858, Eli Whitney Blake invented a stone crusher to produce material for road paving. His design still influences stone crushers being manufactured today.
• In 1892, confectioner George Smith of the Bradley Smith Candy Co. invented the lollipop.
• In 1911, A.C. Gilbert invented the Erector Set. It was manufactured in New Haven for decades.
• In 1949, Drs. William Sewell and William Glenn build the first artificial heart pump using in part, an Erector Set.
Today, the spirit of innovation continues in the thousands of manufacturers that operate in the New Haven region.
Listed here are several manufacturing companies successfully doing business in New Haven. Check back for future updates.